Saturday, March 6, 2010

Would you die for a Chicken?

It's truly the most amazing story. Jesus Christ, God, died on the cross for my sins and yours. Why were we so important? We are foul, despicable creatures due to our sinful nature. Yet the Father gave the life of His Son for us. How much Love was needed for that act?

So I went home this weekend to a house full of poop. There was feces strewn everywhere. I kid you not. My dad had decided to take a week hiatus from the house where my cat was allowed to roam free. She's old now and like all old things, their bowel movements are prone to an increase in regularity. I imagine the litter box filled up quickly. There might have been twenty individual stains I had to clean up. I literally used up a whole container of Lysol wipes in this process.

When my mom picked me up today, I mentioned this whole ordeal and she said maybe we should give my cat away to a shelter now because it's getting difficult to take care of her and well...no one is around to do it. This seems reasonable but I am staunchly opposed to this idea. My cat is very specific to our family, our house, and perhaps me. I'm really the only one she seeks affection from. This means that the idea of giving her away to another family is kind of out of the question because she would probably end up wreaking havoc and just being a total pain for the new family.

I don't want to give her up to a shelter though because I can't imagine her living in a cage. I know she would hate it and would be so confused. I know I'm giving my cat a little too much credit with all these emotions but I'm sure any pet owner knows that an animal has a wide range of emotions (including vengeance). This is why I just came out and said to my mom, well why don't we just kill her then? Not existing is so peaceful. An animal doesn't have a soul so I don't have to worry about her not being a Christian and going to hell. It would just make everything much simpler. Obviously, I don't want to kill her. She's my cat, I've had her for twelve years now and I've become really attached to her. I feel kind of guilty for this because I'm basically saying...well you're being kind of a pain now and we don't need that. Bye bye.

I'm in a "God"-like situation here. I control her fate (for all I know). I could be a loving god and deal with all her vile, disgusting-ness. Or I could be remorseless and dump her to the waste basket. It's easy to see the parallel I'm making with the Gospel I mentioned in the beginning.

Now it's easy to say, "Hey, Genesis chapter 1 verse 26 says 'Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."'"

Because of this verse, it means that I can do with an animal what I will. I have the God given ability to do that (which means I can eat a lot of delicious meals). Yet by that same token, God has the God given ability to do with us what He will. He could kill us all at any instant if it was in His nature. We are His creation. But instead, He sent His Son to die for us. I'm sure perhaps one angel might've piped up at this time and been outraged. That God would die for something He had all authority over. It would be like me dying to save some chickens.

Jesus basically did that for us, except we're the chickens, and even on a greater and more outrageous scale than that. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Vincent said...

It really makes us wonder why God decides to save people like us anyways. We're disgusting, evil, defiled, and ultimately sinners, yet God decides to put value on us despite being His very enemies. Outrageous? perhaps... Gracious? absolutely. His mercy He has for us gives Him all the more glory :)