Wednesday, January 6, 2010

To be Truly Blind

I closed my eyes before I smothered my face with the body wash in my shower. The bottle said Oil Control + Body Wash, so I assumed it was meant to advertise some kind of acne control. I tried it and I think it works for the most part. Normally, I don't wash my face with body wash. I guess it's because I wasn't raised to do so and it never really hurt me before; and it was still drowned in the intense water pressure so dirt never stuck. However, I could have gotten soap into my eyes and that would've been uncomfortable.

I do wash my face with this body wash though. And as I covered my face, I closed my eyes to prevent the soap from stinging my senses. There are a few brief moments when I have momentarily chosen to not see anything. Everything is dark to me. I can still hear the water running, bouncing off my skin as who knows what miles per hour. After I let the shower cleanse my body, I bring my face into range and hurriedly brush my face off with my hands. In fact, I am desperate to regain my sight of things.

This is because I've seen a lot of scary movies, and I'm usually reminded of the shower scene from The Grudge where the zombie's hand pops out of her head. Now, even if I can see, I wouldn't be able to see a hand pop out of the top of my cabesa, but I want to check if anything similar has happened. I don't think I'm scared out of my mind or even very scared at all but I do have the instinct to check. It was because of this frantic urge to see that I realized how much I enjoy seeing.

It might not be a surprise to know that I like to see but if anyone asked me which sense I would give up if I had to, I would say my sight. It's been so glorified that those without sight can still do well. There are hunters who can shoot arrows at beasts from yards away just using sound and Ray Charles could play the piano better than anyone else that I know. Anyone without sight still had a chance to make it in this world and it would possibly let them go higher, just look at Dare Devil. But when I had closed my eyes for those few moments, I was terrified of not being able to see. I wanted to check if that zombie girl would be in my shower and I couldn't do that if my eyes were closed. Afterward, I thought about what it would be like to lose that sight forever and I would totally change my answer. Who needs to smell anyways?! I can still taste my food, thanks.

Being blind means that you don't know where you're going. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit, Matthew 15:14. Now when Jesus rebuked those in the bible and told them they were blind, He didn't mean literally. He meant blind spiritually (or maybe even intellectually). Now he usually called the Pharisees blind but they were the ones who knew scripture insanely well. In the old testament, there are so many indications to the salvation Jesus brings, yet none of them could see it. I know many of us yearn for glimpses of God's miracles. To be blind is to see Jesus and not be aware that He is the messiah and Christ. If you are not blind, you will know He is the Lord. When Jesus healed the blind, they went out and spreads news of him all over the region, Matt 9: 27-31.

I hope I will never again underestimate the troubles of being blind.

5 comments:

christine said...

funny.
i've always said that sight would be the one sense i couldn't give up.

but then after reading your entry (although it is the complete opposite of what you were saying) i was thinking about how faith requires us to not see and wholeheartedly trust in God's plan. and that makes it seem like being blind might not be such a bad thing after all.

but i guess those two blindnesses are still different so it's sorta stupid to compare them.

okay maybe i should not leave comments this late at night. --a. but that was a good post! blog more! :]

Willis Zhang said...

How did Christine get here..........
Tasting = 80% smell.
But isn't the Old Testament really about Satan....?

Vincent said...

LoL i can relate to your grudge moment in the shower hahaha

"To be blind is to see Jesus and not be aware that He is the messiah and Christ. If you are not blind, you will know He is the Lord. When Jesus healed the blind, they went out and spreads news of him all over the region, Matt 9: 27-31."

And it was because Jesus, through Him the blind man was healed and could see. Let's be reminded that it's by God's grace that he opens our eyes so we can truly see.

Good post man, look forward to reading more :)

Angel said...

yay for albert!!! i love reading blogs!!! so keep updating!!! i know im guilty of not updating all the time......=P

i like your point about being spiritually blind. i think most of the time, we are guilty of spiritually short-sighted. we dont trust God with what He can do in our life but only worry about the things that are in front of our eyes. nevertheless, only God can cure that, only if we rely on God more when storms hit, then we can experience God's grace more fully.

Henrik M said...

"He meant blind spiritually (or maybe even intellectually). Now he usually called the Pharisees blind but they were the ones who knew scripture insanely well. In the old testament, there are so many indications to the salvation Jesus brings, yet none of them could see it. " -Albert

Yo man, that part about how they knew scripture insanely well, was like aww man I hope I'm not like that.

Not only can you be spiritually blind by not claiming that Jesus is Lord, but you can be blind into thinking that you really do believe. I think Max mentioned this false assurance of salvation. I always pray like sooo hard that I would not be spiritually blind. I get scared about those things because through the way I live my life, it's not as like, relating to my post, I feel like maybe I AM spiritually blind, otherwise I would be praising God and like having a BLAST studying His Word.

I know all these things about the Bible. I've been in church since I can remember and I just get scared thinking that although I know all this knowledge, Jesus might rebuke me like He did the pharisees by claiming that although I knew all this about the Bible, I had not truly given my life to God.

That's my prayer most of the time, and I really put myself out there when I talk to older guys so that maybe they can point out to me my sin, or whether I have the wrong intentions on things. At one point I wasn't so honest cuz I didn't want people to judge me, but were talking about eternal life and eternal separation from GOD here. I don't want to risk that.

yea good post Albert, but we can only rely on the Holy Spirit to make us spiritually like able to see. It's only by His grace that He can soften our hearts and helps us to be changed and transformed by the Gospel.