Tuesday, August 9, 2011

God Is Speaking

Maybe we don't read the Bible because we don't believe that God is talking to us through it. We may believe that the Bible is full of wisdom. That the Bible tells us about Jesus and about God. These are all great, but maybe we also believe that the Bible is static.

We don't think that it has the counsel to comfort us, to advise us when things come up in life. We ask friends and family and pastors for help because we know that we can get their opinion on very specific problems and scenarios. Their opinions are dynamic, constantly being shaped by what God is showing them. Surely, what has been for two thousand years cannot possibly come to give as specific, fruitful counsel as the words we get after explaining our specific situations.

I urge my soul to reconsider this thought. I urge my soul to consider that God knows everything already. God knows more than what I explained in my situation to my friend. God knows more than what I perceive with my own heart. His Word is the best advice I'm looking for.

1 comment:

Henrik M said...

nice thoughts, this reminds me of what John Piper said in his blog,

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/taste-see-articles/the-morning-i-heard-the-voice-of-god

have u read it?