Thursday, August 11, 2011

Suffering for Christ

It's nothing new. I've heard preacher after preacher tell me that the American church is not suffering for Christ. That I'm not suffering for Christ. And they're right.

Phil 1:29
For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake

It's true that I'm not suffering, I'm not persecuted in America. But what am I supposed to do? Move? Leave America for a place more hostile like Saudi Arabia? Perhaps I will never suffer in this manner. Maybe I'll never have to run for my life because of a professed faith in Jesus Christ. Maybe I will. But telling me that I'm not suffering for Christ in that way at this moment is not helpful.

Perhaps there's a different way to suffer for Christ.

Phil 2:3
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

How about holding others more significant than myself? Even in an argument. Even when I've been wronged. Even when I'm blameless and hurt. This is how Christ suffered for us.

No comments: